Pages

Get Paid To Promote, Get Paid To Popup, Get Paid Display Banner

two in one

4.2.10
4.2.10
{dress: loft, gifted; jeans: gap; belt: forever21; heels: target; necklace: thrifted}

Outfit 2 of the 30 for 30 remix. It's actually kind of hard even though I created a spreadsheet of outfit ideas. That's right a spreadsheet. Call me a nerd, a dweeb, an idiot -- just don't call me Candy or Cindy. I really hate when people get my name wrong.

So Sara, a sweet reader, wrote me to ask about the wardrobe transition from college to workplace. She asked about work vs. play and how to find the happy medium. Well after 2 years of consistently buying the wrong thing for both workplace and play time (I used to wear suits to parties -- it was awkward), I have finally found the sweet spot. About 60% of my wardrobe is for the office. I tend to spend more on staples like pencil skirts, dress pants, a-line skirts, blazers, etc. Since I know that I will wear these items at least 1x a week, I need them to be substantial and last through many seasons.

So first it's business, then it's party time. About 30% of my wardrobe is both appropriate for work and for play. A cute tank when paired with jeans can be a great date night outfit, but paired with a pencil skirt and cardigan, it's completely appropriate for work. If I can't think of 3 things in my closet to pair with play time purchases, I do not buy them because this means I won't wear them.

The rest of my wardrobe is filled with play-only clothes. A girl can not live by pencil skirt alone. This is where the tu-tu fits in. It's always nice to have a few pieces that work solely for a date night or for going out with your girlfriends. Plus, a girl always needs an excuse for a tu-tu. You can just blame it on Kendi's 10% rule.

Coincidentally, my outfit yesterday worked out perfectly with her question. I went from casual Friday at work to date night in Austin. Bada-bing bada-boom -- it's a whole new outfit. Well, almost.

4.2.10
4.2.10
4.2.10

(PS I'm taking a break from my regular labeling of words and arrows during the 30 for 30 remix. You can find my outfit details underneath the last photo.)