Pages

Get Paid To Promote, Get Paid To Popup, Get Paid Display Banner

Ask The Photographer

Ask-The-Photographer

Every once in a while I'll get a really great question about photography that I simply can not answer. These are the questions I pass on to my loving, all-knowing husband and photographer. Below is one of those great questions.

This week's question comes from Claudia:

"I'm in the market for a DSLR camera & am asking around to see what cameras people use & love. I wanted to ask you what camera(s) & lenses you use or what you recommend for an absolute camera newbie. I rarely take photos but am realizing how important it is to capture the big & little things in life. My husband and I will be welcoming our first little one May 2011. He will deploy for a handfull of months though during my pregnancy which is why it's so important for me to start documenting life on a much better camera."


Hi Claudia --

Because I run a business with my camera, doing weddings and other portrait sessions, having good equipment is imperative for me. Currently, I shoot with a Nikon d700 camera body with a 50mm for portraits, 17-55 for wide shots, and a 70-200 for zoom. There are always other varying lenses for different scenarios, but these are the "big 3" that I use on Kendi Everyday.

For a beginner, I would suggest starting with a user-friendly and price conscious option. Although there are many name brands in cameras, Nikon and Canon are the front runners for both entry level and commercial. Both have numerous options in lens choices, as well as a wide variety of camera bodies to fit your needs. I would suggest testing the cameras out in your local camera store to get the feel of each, and to see what feels most natural to you.

For beginners, I suggest the Canon Rebel XSi or the Nikon D3100. Both are entry level DSLRs and will take beautiful photos. Once you get a feel for your new camera body and kit lens, you can explore more lenses and and equipment. [Kendi side note: I used to have a Canon Rebel and I loved it! It was great to use and learn on.]

Much like keeping a journal or diary, photos have a powerful way of document fleeting moments in time. With a new one coming, there couldn't be a better time for you to learn photography. Good luck with the pregnancy and the new photo adventures!

Bryan
__

Have a burning photography question or want to be featured in an "Ask the Photographer" series? Send your questions to Bryan at ask@bryanskeen.com.