Pages

Get Paid To Promote, Get Paid To Popup, Get Paid Display Banner

Four Score and Twenty Outfits Ago...

7.30.10a
7.30.10c
7.30.10e
7.30.10d
7.30.10b

Hello Friday and outfit #20. Today I had lots of meetings and I needed something that read "very professional" and not "reckless twenty-something who takes off mid-week to go to a concert." Enter in my office pants and a cardigan, how more professional looking could I get?

My husband just interjected and said that I could have worn a suit and then he busted into laughter. Why the laughter, you ask? Aren't suits a normal fare for professionals? He brings this up because I accidentally wore a suit on my first day of work, ever. My very first day at my very first big girl job, 3 years ago. I worked in an engineering firm as an administrative assistant and my mother had just bought me a suit on sale from Banana Republic. Maybe I'd watched too many episodes of The West Wing but it seemed appropriate at the time, ok? And I mean a suit--a full on blazer with gold buttons, a button down shirt, a nice, masculine belt, and crisp pair of pleated slacks. I looked like a child dressed up in my father's business wear for career day at school. (I always went as Donald Trump.) Turns out most secretaries don't wear suits to work every day, or as I found out ever. 7th grade aside, that might have been one of the most awkward moments of my life to date.

Despite my husband's jeers, I like to think of this outfit as a "soft suit." You know, not a full on blazer with slacks, just a nice coordinating cardigan with some office pants. SO you know,a soft suit. Kind of like this:

In fact, exactly like this.


(image via awkward family photos)